A controversy in search of an issue

A while back I stopped watching Township Board meetings.  I do not read the minutes.  I assume not much is happening since no one has sent an email or called to tell me I need to pay attention.  My life is bliss - up until I read the newspaper.

So, last week when I read the story of a 'controversy' about closed session minutes, I figured I must have skimmed it too fast and missed what the issue was and why there was a problem.  I supposed that something had happened at a Board meeting.

I went on with my business for the week remembering my own twenty-year experience on the Board.  Simply put, you vote to go into closed session, you discuss and leave.  You can take no votes and make no motions in the session.  What is discussed is protected information, either because it involves negotiations or a lawsuit.  There would be nothing to approve in the way of minutes, other than who was in the room and what the issue was.  And that information already appears in the general session minutes.

After reading today's newspaper, including the letter to the editor, I had an 'AHA' moment.  I figure that someone (or some two) has an issue with the clerk and likely called the paper to stir things up.  The very call would be evidence of her incompetence.  (Rumor has it that they have already lined up a new candidate for clerk in 2012.)

A recent serviceman to my home, not realizing who I was in my previous life, informed me that 'this new Board is worse than the last bunch.'  Amen to that. 

So, pray tell, just what is the problem here?

No comments:

Post a Comment

make the t shirts from here

T-shirt transfer-this is the only method that I ever try if you have a shirt I own. You buy a t-shirt transfer sheets, print design, and ir...