I'll agree with That

Ever since I retired my morning ritual has included reading the newspaper.  This morning was no exception. 

I always read the editorial page, which gets my brain working and my blood flowing, sometimes boiling.  This morning's editorial in the Oakland Press hit the nail on the head when it comes to 'hyping' the weather.  I've already stated that I hate winter, but this is Michigan and I have learned to expect cold and snow.  I don't have to like it.  But what I dislike even more is the constant threat of impending doom when a snow cloud appears in the Midwest. 

I listen to a news radio station in the morning when I am getting ready for the day.  There is a female 'commentator' who is particularly annoying.  She hypes the fall of the first snowflake as though it alone will produce two feet of snow. 

Earlier this week we were told that we would get snow on Monday night and into Tuesday morning.  Didn't happen.  The forecasters also said that snow will arrive on Christmas Eve and into Christmas day.  One person I talked to was upset that their holiday driving would be hampered.  Another told me on Monday that they may have to spend Christmas Eve at their guest's home instead of making a treacherous drive back to their own home.

The forecast wouldn't be so bad if the people telling the story weren't doing such a horrible job of delivering the message, which often turns out to be wrong anyway.  Watch television during the evening and you get commercials about staying tuned for the forecast so you  know whether or not to send your child to school in the morning, even when no snow is forecast.

The worst part of this, IMHO, is that I have become desensitized to the forecasts and reports and never know what to believe.  I look out my window and decide to head out, or stay home, based on my driveway conditions.  If I listened to that crazed woman on the radio, I'd be stuck here until Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

make the t shirts from here

T-shirt transfer-this is the only method that I ever try if you have a shirt I own. You buy a t-shirt transfer sheets, print design, and ir...