What a Ride

It has been a hectic nine days since I last wrote this blog.  I've had trips to Ann Arbor and Lansing for meetings, fulfilled two of my volunteer jobs, worked a poll for the election of a successful candidate, made a trip to the emergency room with chest pains, and survived another power outage.  Along with just running my normal errands and keeping my house and yard in shape for winter.  No wonder I had no time to write.

During this past week, two gentlemen who I've known and had dealings with on government committees told me they were retiring at the end of the year.  I have great respect for both men and their wealth of knowledge when it comes to government.  Taking their knowledge with them to retirement will leave a void both at the company for one and in State government for the other.  (I also know two other long-term State employees leaving at the end of the year.  Can you spell BRAIN DRAIN?)

In conversations with them over the past few years, both have mentioned at one time or another that they do not know what they will do in retirement.  Do?  I could give them some of my list of items.  I have a longer to-do list now than I had when I was working full-time.

Maybe it is because I am home that I see more things to take care of, but I doubt it.  There is also the 'fun factor' of things to accomplish while I am still able.  Places to travel to on my 'must-see' list.  And there are the culinary classes at Schoolcraft in the continuing ed program.  This semester it is a Friday night series on various food preparation techniques and in a few weeks a class on making French tortes.  A classmate suggested last week that I enroll in the full-time program.  Right.  Who has the time?

Besides, I have finally reached the point in life where I can sit down and read a book or watch a movie without feeling the overwhelming need to get up an do something productive.  And when you reach that point, retirement becomes a real treasure to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

make the t shirts from here

T-shirt transfer-this is the only method that I ever try if you have a shirt I own. You buy a t-shirt transfer sheets, print design, and ir...