Down the chimney? Through the wall!

Hey all.  Santa may be coming down the chimney but Woody is coming through the wall.  Yep.  We finished patching all the smaller holes a few weeks ago and yesterday I heard an odd knocking. 
It wasn't the loud pecking that alerts us to a pecker, it was different and I thought Junior was attacking the adults.  Nope.  Outside investigation revealed a very large bird with yellow beneath the wings.  ?????  It's the Flicker. 
 

Inside investigation showed a hole about 7" long and 4" high.
Flickers are also protected by the Migratory Bird Act and are basically a type of woodpecker.  They are distinguished by the yellow underside of their wings as you watch them fly away from tearing your house to shreds.  Big bird.  I continued to scare and interrupt his excavating all afternoon which obviously upset him since he hasn't returned today.  We have an aluminum piece attached inside the attic and caulked around that to prevent rain and snow from running behind the siding.   The siding will be replaced on the house this spring so it will be corrected then.  We were planning on cedar lap siding again, but after this year, James Hardie cement siding may be a better choice.  We've co-existed with many pecker varieties and fed them for 25 years, but they obviously are needing more protected roosts.  Not sure what to do if he comes back but I'm also concerned that he is elsewhere starting a new hole.  He wasn't finished with this one! 
Woody Woodpecker his very self was here again and is creating a cavity for his home as you can see here.  Problem is, they usually pick dead trees but this tree is living - so far! 

Well, I have to prepare palachinkas (cottage cheese filled crepes), smelts, pierogis, with a few purchased side dishes for Christmas Eve so I don't have time for birdwatching. 
I haven't really been browsing for freebies but Pineberry Lane's caught my eye on Nan's blog.  Love it.  For some reason, my reader's list missed quite a few recent posts so I need to go back and review your blogs.  I'm listing a few freebies that were featured by stitchers - just in case you missed them or haven't had time to check them out.
Pineberry Lane's download on PatternMart (you need to register)
can be found HERE.
Another nice Christmas Free is from Woolen Sails and can be found HERE.
Merry Primitive Christmas from The Primitive Hare can be found HERE.
Another of her wonderful free charts is on her blog HERE.
And scroll down Viola's lovely blog to see several sweets HERE.
DMC's Mistletoe Sampler is a little more elaborate HERE.
Tokens and Trifles has lots of smalls and I picked the Quaker Stocking HERE.
Their sewing cards are so lovely and they offer many free charts for them HERE, you just click on the shape. 
That's the end because I'm flashing and need to go stand outside in the cold rain.
****************
I wish you all a very MERRY CHRISTMAS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

make the t shirts from here

T-shirt transfer-this is the only method that I ever try if you have a shirt I own. You buy a t-shirt transfer sheets, print design, and ir...