Marketing 101

Yes, I am STILL reading 'An Echo in the Bone'.  I took it out of our local library before Christmas and barely made it to page 50 after three weeks.  I was busy making cookies.  And other stuff.  So, I had to return it and figured I would read it when I had more time.

Here's the deal:  This book is the seventh in a series.  The books, known as 'the Outlander Series', tell the story of a 20th century woman who travels to 18th century Scotland.  She gets pregnant there, has her baby in the 20th century, and then travels back to the 18th century to be with the man who got her pregnant.  Oh, and lots of other stuff happens.

Anyway, it has been three years since the last novel.  Guess I don't have to mention that at my age trying to remember all the details after three years and countless other books is no easy feat.  Now, since it takes the author three years to write the book, she makes it worth your while to spend $30 and get your money's worth.  (I bought mine used for $5 a couple of weeks ago.)

Here's the issue:  The book is 814 pages (I'm up to page 159).  In small type, no less.  If this author had taken a marketing class, she might have learned that she could have written three novels, one a year, 300 pages each, and sold each for $25.  That's $75 instead of $30.  And I could more easily remember what happened last year than three years ago.

I will share this tidbit with you, free of charge.  Time travel always happens in roughly two-hundred year jumps.  Of course, if you are a fan of 'Dr. Who', you know that is not true.  If you are looking for some stones to use as a portal, I saw some up in British Columbia.  They were just as Diana Gabaldon describes them in her novels.  Have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

make the t shirts from here

T-shirt transfer-this is the only method that I ever try if you have a shirt I own. You buy a t-shirt transfer sheets, print design, and ir...