Surprise!

Hello ladies and gents.  Look what I made today....

It's Threadwork Primitives's freebie from July .....


that you can find here.   Still thinking about the fabric counts of the different linens, I pulled a few pieces that are still labeled from the old shop.   I don't expect all 32 counts to be exactly the same but after what happened on my current project, I wanted to see if there is a visible difference.  I have a piece of gorgeous pale lemon called "Melinda" (30 count) and although not linen, is so close in feel and texture.  The other three pieces are 32 count linen and Belfast.  Amazingly, the Melinda in 30 is a smaller stitch than the linens in 32.

One thing led to another and I ended up starting this small project to see if the count matched the expected measurement.  It's marked 32 count but not the brand.  I don't like it.  It feels almost synthetic and the fabric threads were actually splitting when I was stitching.  Originally a very light off white, boiling hot coffee and a clear rinse turned it into a very nice color.  Several flashes later, I forgot all about the reason for the project and ended up completing it.  You know, my mother and her sisters never had one symptom of menopause, so is this sticky body of mine the cumulation of the family females?  Geez.  Back to stitching....   I never did check the measurement.   But it fit perfectly on my oval paper mache box, so I painted, sanded, and fit the pincushion atop, deciding against the chenille trim that I cut for it.  I like it.  Changing course...
When trying to determine the stitch used on the fringed edge of my current sampler, I referred to my books and was surprised that the nun stitch was not in The Proper Stitch.  Hmm.  Not in Shay Pendray's Needleworker's Companion either.   Ginnie Thompson's Linen Stitches had it.  So there's the answer as to why we need several books showing cross stitches.  I don't have a library of sampler books except for  these few...

I have two copies of this....

 I checked on Amazon and Google and I couldn't believe what they are asking for this!!!    Amazing number of diagrammed stitch patterns.

So that's about it.  My brother found a farm that will take the last four kittens so we are trying to round them up for spaying Friday.  My cat brat is still visiting, fussy as heck, and wants cream.  Real cream, thank you ma'am.  I think she has a home and is just coming for treats. 

Back to the sampler tomorrow.   My easy 28 count stitch.  I need to do more on the 30 and 32 and just keep at it until I stitch as easily as on 28.  Or 27 that looks like 28 and throws my measurements off.   Oh!  One more thing.  Check out Shaker Woods Festival.   You can click several photos on their website to get a feel for the wonderful show that is held every year about an hour from here.   There's everything from inexpensive dookies, to high end pieces.  You park in a huge field on a country road and the cows behind the fence get a look at every kind of vehicle imaginable.   That's it!  I'm done  Cooked.  Sticky.  Time for another shower.
Thanks for visiting !  I appreciate your comments, suggestions, help, and hellos!

No comments:

Post a Comment

make the t shirts from here

T-shirt transfer-this is the only method that I ever try if you have a shirt I own. You buy a t-shirt transfer sheets, print design, and ir...