A Good reason to stay home on Monday night

Since I no longer work on Monday nights, I have every reason to stay home.  Yet I found myself once again traveling to my old haunts to criticize those who now sit where I did for twenty years or so.  And they have an excuse for everything.  This time is was because their attorney said their illegal expenditure, which I questioned, was really OK.  Well, what do I know?  I should just bury my head in the sand like most citizens and stay home on Monday night and read a book.

It is tempting to address all the political stuff that happens in our area.  There is plenty.  I have only sent one letter to the editor and one guest opinion to the Oakland Press in the last year.  On two of my favorite (NOT) topics - trash and roundabouts.  Here is my opinion on trash:  http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles/2009/11/25/opinion/doc4b0c477deb2fc098579486.txt

Here is the opinion that prompted my letter on roundabouts:  http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles/2010/01/10/opinion/doc4b4799b555b96827354433.txt
And my response:
A group of us were just talking at breakfast yesterday about how horrible the roundabouts are in West Bloomfield and here comes Gary Piotrowicz of the RCOC telling us how great they are. Gary, they pay you to write this stuff don't they?
First, please tell me how many traffic fatalities you have had in the last thirty years at the three intersections in West Bloomfield where you built the roundabouts. My guess is none, since I cannot remember any, but I could be wrong. If your goal is to reduce fatalities by 90 percent, why not put them at high fatality intersections first?
Second, have you ever tried to make a left out of the Jewish Community Center onto Maple Road? Where are the traffic gaps? People exiting the facility are sitting in the left turn lane on Maple trying to merge going eastbound. It should be posted right only at the exit or there will be a fatality.
I know many people who go out of their way to avoid going through the roundabouts, especially seniors, which probably accounts for any improvement in congestion (though I have not noticed it).
Furthermore, if you travel west down the road, traffic is backed up from Haggerty about three-fourths of a mile after three or four pm since the timing on the light is short for east-west traffic on Maple and traffic coming through the roundabout ends up there.
I suspect that Piotrowicz does not spend much time actually driving on Maple Road during the day. I do.

So, my political rant, for what it is worth.  Back to interesting stuff tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

make the t shirts from here

T-shirt transfer-this is the only method that I ever try if you have a shirt I own. You buy a t-shirt transfer sheets, print design, and ir...