Too Clever with Words

I have mentioned before that I start my day with the New York Times Crossword in The Oakland Press.  I also end my day with a puzzle or two from a collection of books that Will Shortz has issued with NYT puzzles.  I am making up for lost time.

When I was at Wayne or working downtown and riding the bus, I would do the puzzle during the ride.  That all ended with the purchase of a car and then a move to the suburbs.  And no time for puzzles when you are home raising three boys.

I am always amazed at the cleverness of the puzzle creators.  Today was no exception.  If you do the puzzle in the Press, you know that puzzles in syndication run five weeks behind.  So, today's puzzle was run in the NYT on February 17.

The 'theme clues' were London Broil, Baked Alaska, and Roast Turkey.  Reading in circles around the puzzle clockwise you could spell out 'Global Warming'.  Here is a link to Rexword's blog and his solution.  I loved doing this puzzle.  I wish I was as clever.

Yesterday's theme was 'processed meat' with the letters 'aemt', rearranged to form the start of 'metamorphosis', 'mate for life', and 'team captain'.  I suppose you could say the puzzle was 'tame', but it was Tuesday after all.

You will notice a link to Rex Parker's blog on the left.  He is my source for explanations when I finish a puzzle and have no idea what the theme or some of the answers mean, usually on Friday or Saturday.  If you would like to see a movie about the crossword tournament, I recommend 'WordPlay'.  It will get you revved up to try a puzzle or two and fire up your brain cells.

No comments:

Post a Comment

make the t shirts from here

T-shirt transfer-this is the only method that I ever try if you have a shirt I own. You buy a t-shirt transfer sheets, print design, and ir...