A failed challenge

Hiya.  Thanks to everyone who has been so thoughtful to help me with the threads.  I've learned a lot and I appreciate your help!   I have another little finish to show.  Little.  Did you all see Lori's Notforgotten Farm's freebie challenge?  You can find it here.  As soon as I saw the design, I pictured it stitched on a tan linen and applied to (or bound) by a black/tan check homespun.  The finished piece would be sewn or safety pinned to a black t-shirt or sweatshirt.  I failed. 
I got through the 18 and thought - I don't have a black top (from years of yellow Labradors).  So I just finished the date and made it into a little pinkeep.  You know the odd shade of DMC's 830's, kind of brown with olive.  I was surprised to find a fabric that coordinated well even though the photo doesn't show it.  I told my husband that this is the reason to continually buy fat quarters of every color.  When I go to the quilt shop I'm worse than a kid in a candy store.  When he asked if I really needed 100 fat quarters just for a 3" x 4" piece, I knew he still didn't understand.  I asked him why he needs four sectioned storage boxes with plastic worms of every color, 6 hook sizes, split shots, sinkers, bobbers, lures, Mister Twisters, bobber stops, floating jig heads, and the sparkly chartreuse and orange crazy thing that doesn't even look like a known species, just to go fishing for a few hours.  And do you really need a complete set of irons for golf?   Buy one iron, hit it softer for close shots and harder for distance.  Get an average degree and turn the club face to compensate for loft.  Or bend a little more contorting your shoulder downward.  There's no reason to have a choice, right?  One should be enough? 
I have Fanny and Eunice ready and waiting for the trip to the framer, but Lucy.....that Lucy.  The design area is around 20 x 21 and I was very close to finishing her mounting when I realized one side was stretched too much (from stitching) and if I stretched the mount, it wouldn't leave enough to clear the rabbet.  There was just too much fabric and the other side was perfect.  So I took her apart, spritzed lightly with water, and threw her in the dryer.  I'll bet this makes some of you squeamish along with gluing seams shut!  I knew from all the dyeing I did that she would return to square or even shrink a little.  She did.  Both.  So I need to start over.  Joy has been helping me with tips and I found a YouTube video that instructs on lacing your needlework.  Lucy is way too big, I need to start with a smaller project.  If anyone is interested in watching this lacing method, the video is here.
The name drawn for Stella's chart was stitchinPeanut.  I visited her blog Peanut's Place for the first time and like it!

That's all folks.  Sucking down the Advil after periodontal surgery on one side and an extraction of the last molar.  Not as bad as I expected!   I just caught a glimpse of something - my deer is wanting her bread so she is looking in the side window!!  She must really be hungry!!   I have the heart box and tray packed and weighed and I will post the weights next time so you can figure the postage in case you are contemplating purchasing one.
Thanks for visiting - stay safe - talk to you soon.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx




No comments:

Post a Comment

make the t shirts from here

T-shirt transfer-this is the only method that I ever try if you have a shirt I own. You buy a t-shirt transfer sheets, print design, and ir...