Surprisingly easy finish

Hello people.  Thanks for all the great comments on Overshot Heart.   It sure didn't look this small when I was stitching so I'm glad I used the 28 count for that reason also.  The linen shows through the floss just enough to resemble a woven fabric and I'd like to do another in black and a lighter mustard.  I can't believe I didn't have more trouble with finishing since heart shapes usually make my hair curl.    Here's what I did - which is probably the same that you do!
First of all, I had to extend the design to make a rounded top.  You can see this on the left side compared to the right.
I decided on Craft Fuse and I gotta tell ya, I am so glad I'm storing the interfacings in these folders.  They were always mixed up along with the wrong directions.  The last one I used was dry iron - no movement, and this one was circular motion and steam.  Go figure.  The craft fuse really gives a stiff look and feel and is quite heavy.  After fusing the linen and the backing, I ran my finger nail along the stitched edge and it created a line for my machine to follow since I wanted no linen showing.

I stitched around the entire heart and made the point square by one stitch instead of a sharp angle.  Then I slit the back open!   I couldn't use the envelope method with this shape and for more primitive pieces I some times would slit the back and use a muslin patch.  The heavy fused facing prevented the fabric from tearing open even more when trying to turn it right side out.  Before doing that, I pinked the seams instead of clipping/notching, and I cut a piece of quilt batting to fit inside the stitches, and then cut the edges on an angle to bevel the bulk.














Once turned right side out, I inserted the batting and used a few more pieces where needed, made a patch, and used the double fusible (Trans-Web) to glue it.   
You can see that it's not very puffy, but enough, and I steamed it when completed.  So where do I put it now?  I still may attach a hemp cord and hang it but started playing around to see where I'd like it. 
Why I did this, I don't know.  But if you have some beautiful smalls you want displayed, this may not be a bad idea.  Fill a glass cylinder with the pieces and something pretty in the center to hold them.  Those large glass beads used in floral arrangements?  Wood somethings for rustic?  Honeysuckle vines and pussy willows?    Too bad I like beat up dirty looking primitives cause I'm picturing some beautiful displays!

I'm working on Santa now, stuck on Lucy, and will pick another sampler.  I saw a few must haves that just came out and Threadwork Primitive's Chelsea's Pinkeep is certainly one.

I'll leave you with the two little devils sticking their heads out of their cat condo.   The baby has a white spot on his mouth that I always thought was a piece of the styrofoam box they live in.  It's not.  He's an odd little guy.  I never saw round eyes on a cat before.  One more thing - Bath&Body Works' candle sale is today.  I got my Aromatherapy Orange Ginger - amazing fragrance. 
 Have a great week - a big thank you to all who participated in the drawings - and for taking the time to visit with me.  I will have a few of the small oval sets for sale probably the end of week and will let you know.  Thank you again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

make the t shirts from here

T-shirt transfer-this is the only method that I ever try if you have a shirt I own. You buy a t-shirt transfer sheets, print design, and ir...