A surprise RAK and the price of stitching

I hate changes which is hard to believe since I am constantly changing my mind, but I don't like Blogger's dashboard changes.  So I clicked on the little tool wheel at the top right and chose "old blogger interface" and got the style I am used to.  I prefer seeing my blog list updates on the dashboard in the smaller version instead of a wide page with less updates.  I wonder if I will be able to keep the old style for good - but probably not.

I had a wonderful surprise in my mail the other day along with the sweetest note.  An RAK from Shirlee.  She knows I love samplers and santas and stitched the most perfect design for me.  I love it, love it.  Shirlee, thank you so much.  What a lovely surprise!  She did a beautiful job and even had it professionally finished for me.  If I had cheeks, they would be blushing.  Unfortunately, they are down around my jaws.  It's the main reason I don't wear lipstick.  When your jowls are larger than your lips, it's not a good idea to draw more attention to that area.
I decided to play around with dyeing a few pieces of linen from the stash.  I no longer have use for pastel colors so I bleached and then dyed (several times) until I was happy.  The sweatshirt I was wearing will soon have patchwork down the arms and front to hide the bleach and dye marks.  I like the two final colors.  While I was at it (and Mark was gone) I did a few samples for the sofa I plan on changing.  There is just too much red in most every neutral color I use so I need to buy a few other shades and mix my own again.

I already sprayed the sofa with a Dawn and water mix to remove the sizing and allow the stain to penetrate.  The walnut stain was barely noticeable so I moved on to Rit liquids.  Still up in the air about the whole thing, not knowing if I should try selling the sofa (very long) and buying a smaller piece or plan on re-upholstery if the dye doesn't work.  I'm trying this on the back of the sofa which isn't seen in case it doesn't work.
And then there's Lucy.  Poor Lucy.  She is so large and being man handled, scrunched, folded, rolled, and pinched, but I am still working a little every evening on her completion.  Once these eyelets are done, the bottom houses and florals will hopefully go quicker.
I did want to mention something that will  probably have quite a few stitchers upset, but I will anyway.  I had Lucy at the doc's office so I could mindlessly stitch the eyelet bands, when a lady commented.  We started talking and she told me that most of her friends didn't mind paying for larger pieces clearly printed on stock, but when the small ornaments and simpler designs rose to $10 and above on a folded piece of paper, they started trading with fellow stitchers.  When I mentioned about the pirate sites many bloggers have posted about, she said she didn't know about them, but wasn't surprised.  Her group felt that simple and small designs were overpriced and they will trade unless offered on Ebay or a good discount.   I told her that most stitchers have no problem with prices and will follow their favorite designers regardless, and everything has gone up in price!   I wondered how many others felt this way,  but since I'm not a designer, it's none of my business!!!   Has needlework become too expensive for the casual stitcher and only the devoted and addicted like us are left? 
Well I better just shut up now.  I don't want anyone thinking I'm on a soap box for this woman who was wearing lipstick and had no jowls. 
For that reason alone, I didn't like her.

Have a wonderful weekend, stay safe, thank you for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

make the t shirts from here

T-shirt transfer-this is the only method that I ever try if you have a shirt I own. You buy a t-shirt transfer sheets, print design, and ir...