Collar your hoodie #2 - unlined pullover

Hi all.  I don't know if anyone is really interested in getting rid of their hoods, but I will post the other methods anyway!  These pullover types are nice but I'm strangling myself when I have a flash, trying to pull it away.  This one is the fleece fleece - same on both sides - very soft and stretchy and doesn't ravel.  
 First off, push the hood down inside the neck leaving about 2" in the back and 3" in the front standing.  Pin all around, trying to get a smooth fold with no pulling.  Just keep repinning - it will eventually smooth out, adjusting the collar height as you go along. You can slit the top of the hood open if it helps, or not, in case you change your mind about the project.  Fold the shirt in half to see if the collar is the same height on both sides, or measure, and make sure the front edges match.  Now you have two options.  You can sew it as is, or add the masking tape to help with stretching.  I used a fabric marker to show you where the tape would be placed, which is directly above the taped neck seam that you can feel through the fabric. 

Pinning all the way around the neck on the outside of the shirt is really good enough.
You absolutely need to use the stretch stitch setting on your machine for the sewing.  You will stitch in the ditch of the neck seam on the outside of the shirt, and also run a second row right over the topstitching.  This is a stand up collar so it's important to take your time stitching these two rows and following the lines already there.  Once you've completed the ditch stitching, move your pins to below the topstitching to prevent stretching, and complete that row of sewing.  If you're concerned about stretching and pulling, start from the back center and work towards the front edge on each side, and reduce presser foot tension.
Once both rows are sewn, remove all the pins and cut off the excess.  My grommets were not attached evenly which wasn't noticeable with the hood.  This time I took the ties out but will now insert them and make a larger knot so it's not noticeable.

This collar does not come all the way to the front edge inside, which is why I turned it into a standing collar instead of folded over.  You can see the finished stitching at the neck's back.  I'm now working on the zippered jacket hoodie, which I never did before.  I dislike them more than the pullover and am anxious to see how they come out.
Still stitching Lucy and still making errors but most can be incorporated.  The floral design is all over the place so there is no reason to remove and re-do.  I ran into one of the long closed needlework shop owners and it was so nice to see her.  See was surprised that I was stitching again and I was surprised that she isn't!  My landscaper is 5 weeks past due, two contractors never showed up, and the custom kitchen man was to call two weeks ago.  Typical.   Tomorrow (or Wednesday) will be the last boring post about hoodies and I hope to have Lucy progress to show.
Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

make the t shirts from here

T-shirt transfer-this is the only method that I ever try if you have a shirt I own. You buy a t-shirt transfer sheets, print design, and ir...