A Double Dose of Detroit

If you have HBO service, you may have already viewed the movie 'You Don't Know Jack'.  I have been too busy, but will probably catch it on On Demand.  Since I know a few of those portrayed in the movie, I am curious to see HBO's version of events.  I am also looking forward to seeing if I can recognize Detroit area locations.

The reason I have been too busy to watch TV, is because I have been thoroughly wrapped up in reading 'Annie's Ghosts' by Steve Luxenberg.  This book also takes place in Detroit. 

Imagine that your mother dies and you find out that she had a sister you never knew about.  How could you suspect, when your mother told everyone she was an only child.  That is what happens to the Luxenberg family in 1999.  Once he finds out about Annie, Steve, who now lives in Baltimore, comes back to the Detroit area to find out the story of events.

For a non-fiction book, it reads like a good detective novel.  I guess it helps that the author is a journalist and the winner of two Pulitzer prizes. 

If you are looking for a good read, one where you might even say, 'Hey, I remember that', then this is your book.  They have it at the West Bloomfield Library (I'll return my copy tomorrow).

No comments:

Post a Comment

make the t shirts from here

T-shirt transfer-this is the only method that I ever try if you have a shirt I own. You buy a t-shirt transfer sheets, print design, and ir...