You Can't Believe Everything You Read

I have learned from experience that you can't believe everything you read in the newspapers, magazines, or see on TV.  I have always believed that if I read a non-fiction book, I should be able to trust the information.

Since I had mentioned 'The Last Train from Hiroshima' in one of the blogs, I decided to try to find a link for readers.  Boy, did I get a surprise when I did. 

Seems like all publication of the book is being dropped.  The publisher has some unanswered questions about one of the sources who provided information, among other issues.

 Henry Holt said it will not pull the book off shelves but is ending its relationship with the author and it will not print or ship any more copies. "The author of any work of non-fiction must stand behind its content," the publisher said in a statement.

There certainly seemed like more than enough information was available to him for the book.  I can't understand why he felt the need to embelish the story.  Another online article I read said that he interviewed someone who said they were on the Enola Gay, but in fact was not.  Seems like that is definitely something someone could verify before putting it in print.

I guess it is just 'reader beware'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

make the t shirts from here

T-shirt transfer-this is the only method that I ever try if you have a shirt I own. You buy a t-shirt transfer sheets, print design, and ir...