Community

Years ago, in a discussion as to why some communities seem to have no identity that brings its residents together, someone suggested that perhaps communities should have football teams.  We all got a chuckle out of it until we realized that, when one discusses consolidation of school districts, the issue of cross-town rivalry in football always seems to get mentioned as a good reason why it can't be done.  It seems to be a sacred cow (no offense to the milk or beef lobby intended).

In a discussion this morning, my friend mentioned that school districts always seem to have a general cohesiveness.  It is present in some small communities, but does not seem to exist where I live.  I couldn't agree more.  Several years ago I was asked by a local paper what I wished for in the coming year.  I said I wished for a sense of community that I felt was lacking here. 

Imagine my shock when someone I know wanted to know what idiot came up with that wish (the wishes were not identified by author).  Who needs an identity?, she countered.  I quietly slinked away and kept my mouth shut.

I live in an area where people identify with their school district (we have seven), their religious affiliation, the lake they live on, whether they live north or south of a certain main road or east or west of another, the country club of choice, their swim club, their subdivision, and who knows what else.  I've actually had residents insist they do not live in the community at all, do not know why they pay taxes to the community, all because their mailing address is XYZ-zip.  Any idea how difficult it is to explain the difference between a mailing address and an actual place of official location of a property to a supposedly intelligent individual? 

All of that being said, I have no idea how to bring a sense of community to this area.  I've resigned myself to the fact that it will never happen.  Unless we get a football team.

No comments:

Post a Comment

make the t shirts from here

T-shirt transfer-this is the only method that I ever try if you have a shirt I own. You buy a t-shirt transfer sheets, print design, and ir...