Me and the Prez

One of the books I was reading recently was 'The Last Train from Hiroshima'.  It is an excellent book, but very difficult to read.  The author is quite graphic about injuries.  I would read a chapter and then set it aside.  I had the same feeling about the horrors described when I read 'One Man's Castle' by Phyllis Vine, which also took me awhile to finish. 

I did not finish 'Last Train' and will take it out of the library in the future to do so.  I returned it to the library after the due date and had to pay a fine, a whopping ninety cents.  I handed the person one dollar and told her to 'keep the change.'  (generous, of me, I know)

While reading the newspaper this morning, I read that a former President of the United States owes a hefty fine to the New York City Library.  (Memories of the Seinfeld episode regarding the library cop, Mr. Bookman, and Jerry's overdue book ran through my mind.)  Turns out that ole George Washington borrowed two books that were due November 2, 1789 and have yet to be returned.  That's a fine of easily over $4,000. 

Question:  Did they just discover this?  I got an email that I owed the fine within a week, which I already knew.  Story says they found it in a ledger.  I'll bet most young people know as much about ledgers as they do about 'Funk and Wagnalls'.  And who has the time to browse old ledgers?  The article didn't say.

So, if you are going to be a library deadbeat, be in good company, but return the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

make the t shirts from here

T-shirt transfer-this is the only method that I ever try if you have a shirt I own. You buy a t-shirt transfer sheets, print design, and ir...