Where is Sgt. Friday when You need Him?

Any of you remember 'Dragnet' and Jack Webb as Sgt. Friday?  While he never actually said "Just the facts, ma'am", in those words, it became the catchphrase for the series.  Well, why confuse anyone today with the facts.

Yesterday I spent a good deal of time on the telephone (my blog post was quite popular).  One of the callers happened to mention The Colbert Report and suggested I watch last Monday's show.  With Comcast 'On Demand', that is pretty easy to do.  So, between phone calls, I did exactly that.  There was a segment that has generated a gazillion 'tweets' all about non-factual statements.  The impetus was the following:

On April 8, 2011, US Senator Jon Kyl spoke on the Senate floor and claimed that performing abortions is "well over 90 percent of what Planned Parenthood does."  Planned Parenthood responded that 90 percent of its services are preventative, and only 3 percent are abortion-related.

A spokesperson for Kyl later claimed the Senator’s remark "was not intended to be a factual statement but rather to illustrate that Planned Parenthood, an organization that receives millions in taxpayer dollars, does subsidize abortions."

Hoo-boy!  I am sure we all knew that a lot of trash talk comes out of the halls of government.  Now we have not only have proof of it, but also a justification for it. 

If you are interested in seeing some of Colbert's 'tweets', they are on his website.  And if you get to view the show, it had me rolling in my chair.  Alas, I could hardly roll on the floor with my bad back.  I'd never get up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

make the t shirts from here

T-shirt transfer-this is the only method that I ever try if you have a shirt I own. You buy a t-shirt transfer sheets, print design, and ir...