I Love a Good Battle

The gloves are on.  Or is it off?  I'm never sure. 

Anyway, I got blasted in a guest opinion in today's Oakland Press.  I got my name mentioned seven times in the article.  SEVEN.  I love it.  Every politician knows it is all about name recognition.  Six months after an incident, most folks remember your name but can't remember why.

So some guy in West Bloomfield, who must have been paid to write the opinion, is praising the Supervisor.  (Notice that I rarely mention someone's name.  Why give them free press?)  Unfortunately, he can't read the statute any better than she can.  Here is the state statute:

42.12 Township police force; establishment; township marshal, appointment; rules; policemen, powers and duties.
Sec. 12.
The township board in each charter township may provide for and establish a police force and authorize the supervisor, or the township superintendent if one has been appointed, to appoint, subject to the approval of the said board, a township marshal and such other policemen and watchmen as may be required to protect property and preserve the public welfare and safety in that portion of the township not included within the corporate limits of any village or villages located wholly or in part within the township. No police officer of any such village shall be ineligible for appointment as a member of the township police force, except that no village police officer shall serve as township marshal. The township board shall make all necessary rules for the government of the township police force and its members and shall prescribe the powers and duties of policemen and watchmen, and may invest them with such authority as may be necessary for the preservation of quiet and order and the protection of persons and property within that part of the township not located within the corporate limits of any village.

Now, do you see where it 'requires that the supervisor recommend or nominate a candidate for police chief' as the writer states?   It is getting ridiculous to keep arguing about something which a judge has already ruled on.  And the Supervisor lost!!!

Now, if the point of the opinion was to praise the Supervisor and her accomplishments, the writer could have easily done that.  He criticizes me for not acknowledging them.  Well, sir, that was not the point of my opinion. 

He goes on to say that the Supervisor has been battling me and the former Supervisor.  Gee, I was not aware of that.  What are we battling about?  He says that I am jealous of her?  Jealous of what?  I had a very successful career for over twenty years and left on my own terms.

I've lived in this community for 39 years and have a lot invested here.  And I have a right to state my opinion.  If you don't like it, state your own.  But there is no need to attack me directly.  Unless, of course, you want to keep my name in print for when I run for office in 2012.  Be my guest.  I'll see you at the polls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

make the t shirts from here

T-shirt transfer-this is the only method that I ever try if you have a shirt I own. You buy a t-shirt transfer sheets, print design, and ir...